New Post Every Sunday!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

KonMari Method Second Visit: Clothing

I discovered the "KonMari" method of decluttering last year after it's boom of popularity on social media. It really is a great method of getting unwanted items out of your life. I don't want to reinvent the wheel by explaining the entire process, but the main premise is to sort your things by category and only keep that which brings you joy.

The audio book is available for free on youtube,


Or if you don't have that much time to spend (though I highly recommend it!), here is a great lecture,


I went through the entire process last year and got rid of a couple trash bags of stuff and several trunk loads of stuff to donate. At the time, I lived in half of a bedroom at my parent's house. I couldn't believe how much stuff I had crammed in that little space!

Since then, I have gotten married and moved into my husband's little one bedroom apartment. I have noticed a shift in my lifestyle and my priorities began to change. A lot of my stuff started to become nothing more than a burden. I stopped collecting things, like My Little Pony. Then there were other things that my husband already owned, so we just have a lot of doubles.

For fun, here is a picture of almost everything I moved (plus a bookshelf, several bags of clothing and about 12 plants),

I suppose not terrible but I didn't exactly have a whole household to move either, haha
So I think it is time to revisit everything! I know the changes won't be as big as they were the first time since I really haven't let too much stuff accumulate, this is mostly just reevaluating the old, getting settled in with my husband and letting him go through his stuff too (and he is fairly minimalistic already).

Since clothing is the first category, I pulled out my entire wardrobe and got to work!

All of my clothes, minus underwear, socks, and  4 work uniforms

And the pile of stuff I am letting go

I really am toying with the idea of setting up a capsule wardrobe but I'm not quite comfortable with that yet. I think I'm going to let that happen naturally as my clothing wears out and I continue to stop bringing new items in.

My husband is more of a simple guy. I organized his clothes too and asked him to sort through them, giving him a category at a time (polos, buttondowns, pants...). That really helped him. We both wanted to be able to share a single chest of drawers and got it accomplished!! Yay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment